Specialist Dining Onboard your Cruise Ships
Alternative dining options are all the rage onboard contemporary ships these days. The distinctive restaurants provide intimate dining in an upscale atmosphere. Reservations are suggested at these popular venues and because these restaurants at sea are truly a special treat, a cover charge will apply per person.
For all restaurants other than the main dining room you should expect to find that reservations are required. There is a cover charge fee for the reservation that usually costs between £5-£25 per person and the gratuity for the meal may also be additional. The rationale behind the service fee is that seating is often limited to less than 100 people at a time in the private restaurant, and the ambience, cuisine and service are of an even higher standard than you would expect to find in the main restaurant. Most people who experience the private dining and speciality restaurants agree it's well worth paying the extra charge for.
Norwegian Cruise Line has also added a selection of a la carte restaurants on their newest ships. A la carte means you pay as you go, just like any land-based restaurant you're used to. Menu prices are usually the same as you'd find in any tourist location; not outrageous, but probably more than you're used to.
Without question there's a trend that seems to be very popular with first time and past cruisers alike, the menus selections and dining experiences are very different than the one you can find in the main dining room. After all variety is the spice of life, especially when it comes to gourmet fare!
Long-recognized for providing fresh, gourmet cuisine, Celebrity Cruises promises to take its culinary program to the next level by appointing Jacques Van Staden as vice president of Food & Beverage Operations. Van Staden will work alongside restaurant consultant Elizabeth Blau and internationally renowned chef Michel Roux in shaping the line's evolving culinary program.
- Murano Restaurant onboard Century offers tableside cooking, carving and flambé and delectable menu selections such as Saltimbocca Alla Romana and Steak Diane
- RMS Olympic Restaurant onboard Millenium features a demonstration kitchen and a dine-in wine cellar
- SS United States Restaurant aboard Infinity offers entrées first served on the original SS United States but prepared for twenty-first century guests
- SS Normandie Restaurant on Summit provides guests with an elegant, alternative dining experience with menu selections inspired by the Normandy region of France
- Ocean Liners Restaurant aboard Constellation will whisk you back in time to an age of post-war jubilance and glamorous innovation in the Art Deco-inspired dining room
- Traditional Italian Cuisine, created by world renowned Italian celebrity chef Gualtiero Marchesi.
- Zeffrino's, Italian restaurant created by Italian celebrity chef Giampaolo Belloni di Zeffirino.
Mediterranean cuisine, created by American celebrity chef Todd English.
Many different and varied private and speciality restaurants and bistros exist throughout the Norwegian Cruise Line fleet including:
- Le Bistro French restaurant
- Royal Palm Bistro
- Tai Pin Bistro
- Jefferson's Bistro
- Chin Chin
- Kahili, Pacific Heights
- East Meets West
- The Soho Room
- Il Adagio
- Maxim's Steakhouse
- Lazy J. Texas Steakhouse
- Cagney's Steakhouse
- Arcadian Rhodes, British fare created by TV celebrity chef Gary Rhodes (Arcadia only)
- The Orchid, Oriental and Asian Fusion restaurant (Arcadia only)
- The Grill at The Conservatory (Artemis only)
- Café Bordeaux Bistro (Aurora only)
- The Pennant Grill (Aurora only)
- The Plaza Bistro (Oceana only)
- The Horizon Grill (Oceana only)
- The Terrace Grill (Oriana only)
- Le Jardin at The Conservatory (Oriana only)
- Bayou Café Steakhouse
- The Painted Desert
- Trattoria Sabattini
- Sterling Steakhouse
- Portofino, Authentic Italian restaurant
- Chops Grille, Steak and Porterhouse restaurant
- Jade, Oriental and Asian Fusion restaurant